Thursday, July 22, 2010

Frog Eats Monkey, Char Type 01

A bit of Gundam humor here. Char Aznable's Mobile Suit is an MS-06S Zaku II Command type which makes it three times as fast as a regular Zaku II. Okay, so it was three times funnier in my head.

I'm using a new mold which I didn't take any pictures of, but it's essentially a one-piece mold with the back cut out for demolding. This cuts down on sanding and filling, but I still have way too many bubbles. At least the face doesn't have any seams any more.

The white resin is easy to work with. Carving panel lines for the top of the head was fairly simple. The head fin and the backpack skeleton are made with plastic sheets. Instead of building the backpack first and then trying to fit it on the back, I just super glued the frame to the body. I'll be using more plastic card and my favorite mori mori putty to build up the rest of the backpack.

I've got to figure out what to do with the snout and the pipes and the mono eye, but this is a good start.

No comments: